6 Feb 2014

current day and night skincare routine

Hey guys!
 
For my first official post on this blog, I really wanted to start with skincare. Obviously this is not really a cosmetic routine, but I truly believe that your make-up will not look as great or as put together if your skin is suffering underneath it all. You can use a lot of foundation, concealer and powder if you want - if you don't take care of your skin, your make-up can look as if it is sitting on your skin and be quite obvious rather than blending in and looking natural and airbrushed. It can also limit the amount of product you have to use on your face.
 
I should probably give a bit of background on my skin. When I was younger, I did suffer from breakouts, especially on my cheeks, that were difficult to get rid of. I also suffered from acne on my back. When I was about 14-15, I was prescribed acne medication that did clear both up and although I do still have small scars on my back, I was lucky enough to not really have any left on my face. Nowadays, being in my twenties and finally out of the hormonal teenage years, I only have mild breakouts that are few and far between, usually on my chin. I also have blackheads on my nose, but I am quite confident that you would not be able to see them unless you actually look closely. My skin type is basically normal, however, I really like to make sure that my skin is hydrated as I am more likely to experience dry patches than any oiliness.
 
For this post, I am going to separate them into day and night routines, as they do vary at the moment. As I stated before, I do have normal skin that I basically treat as dry, and because of this I do not use a great deal of products as I feel it is unnecessary. The majority of them are affordable, and were purchased from the Woolworths and Priceline.
 
DAY ROUTINE
 
The first thing I do in the morning is cleanse my face. This is basically because when I sleep, I sweat and all the nasties that could be sitting on my pillow are then stuck to my face. At the moment, to do this I am using the (upside down) Nivea Daily Essentials Refreshing Cleansing Lotion (RRP $$10.49AU). I use two of the Swisspers cotton rounds to apply this, using one to pat the product into my skin and the other to take the product off. I find that this just perks my skin up and provides a little bit of moisture before I go in with my other products.
 
The next product I use is the L'Oreal Luminosity Code Correcting Serum (RRP $35.99AU). This product is a little more expensive, so I do recommend checking out eBay as I did, where I purchased two for $22. Just make sure the seller is reputable before doing so! I take one pump of this, and use it to spread all over my face to brighten it up and to also provide with moisture. It gives a beautiful, subtle glow to my skin and is so lightweight that it is perfect to use in the morning.
 
To moisturise, I am currently using the Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturiser SPF 15 (RRP $19.99AU). I purchased this when Priceline had 40% off skincare, and I'm super glad I did. Like the L'Oreal serum, it is perfect for day time and for use underneath your make up. It is lightweight and a little goes a long way, as I only need one pump for my whole face. It has the added bonus of SPF, which is another great thing about this product. Products with SPF usually have a reaction with my skin, but this hasn't, so a huge thumbs up to Aveeno!
 
This last product is not a necessity, but I love using it day and night on my eyelashes. It is the 1000 Hour Eyelash Serum (RRP $39.99AU), and I got mine at Woolworths. This product is definitely a luxury, but I did buy it because my eyelashes were getting a bit sparse due to all the mascara I was wearing. I honestly think it is worth the money, and although it says on the packaging that it only has a supply of one month, I have been using it since November last year, and its still not finished.
 
NIGHT ROUTINE
 
After I take off the majority of my make-up at night, the first thing I like to use is a Clarisonic Mia (RRP $139AU). I purchased this after Christmas, as I was given a Myer gift card and had been going back and forth about buying it. I finally bit the bullet, and used the gift card and only paid about $80 out of pocket. Boy, am I glad I did. Seriously. I noticed a difference straight away with using it, and it is now a staple in my routine. I use it with the Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser (RRP $13.99AU) which I brought with the Aveeno Moisturiser above. Its a match made in heaven with these two. My skin feels so refreshed and clean, bare of any make up.
 
The next product I use is the Sukin Rose Hip Oil (RRP $19.99AU for 25mL). I use this as my night time serum. I basically use three drops all over my face and rub it in. I usually leave it to soak for about 5 minutes before going in with my last two products.
 
After the oil, I go in with the Sukin Antioxidant Eye Serum (RRP $19.99AU). I use the tiniest pump, and spread it between my ring fingers and pat it underneath my eye, and also on the lid, until it has absorbed into my skin. I really enjoy both of these Sukin products, I think its a great brand, and although I haven't seen a difference in my skin like with some of the other products, both of these keep my skin hydrated throughout the night and leave a subtle radiance in the morning.
 
Last, but not least, I use the Nivea Daily Essentials Regenerating Night Cream (RRP $12.99AU). I dot it around my face and neck and blend it in. This is not a show stopping moisturiser, but it does the job. I do have a Sukin night cream to try after this one is finished, and if it is any good (or completely dismal), I may write a review on it. After this I use the same eyelash serum as I use in my day routine.
 
 
Another fantastic product that I cannot live without (excuse the grubby picture) is the Lush Mask of Magnaminty (RRP $16.95AU for 125mL). After hearing Jaclyn Hill (major girl crush) talk about this on her Youtube channel, I basically had to get it. Santa got it for me last Christmas, and holy moly, it is the bombdotcom. Seriously, this is my skins lifesaver. It contains china clay, bentonite gel, ground abuki beans, primrose seeds and peppermint oil (taken from Lush Australia's website), and calms any breakouts or stand alone pimples I may have. It also clears those pesky blackheads that I mentioned before on my nose. I use this mask about twice a week all over, and maybe once or twice more on just my chin and nose, depending if I have any pimples. I wait until its completely dry, about 20-25 minutes, and rinse it off, and go in with my moisturiser. It is an amazing mask that is truly worth every dollar.
 
I know this was a very long post, especially for my first official post on this blog, but as I stated before, I really believe skincare to be an important part of my overall make-up routine. While these products may not work for everyone, they really do work for me and hydrate my skin as I like it to be.
 
I hope that you enjoyed this post, and that it was helpful and informative. As I said, it isn't a great deal of products, but to be honest, these all perform together with my skin to hydrate it and help to avoid most imperfections :)
 
*all products were purchased by me and have been used for at least a month or more. all pictures and opinions in this post are also my own*


No comments :

Post a Comment